Texas Workforce Commission Unemployment Insurance

TWC Unemployment Application Logon

The TWC will match your social security number to the email address records in their online system.  If you’ve ever applied for unemployment before and provided an email, your social security number and email will be connected.  If you do not know your current username and password, it is helpful to have access to the email that you used for the TWC system previously.  This will allow you to reset the password for your account online.   

We have had reports of applicants who have gotten messages that they need to call TWC to reactivate their account.  It has been difficult to get through. Keep trying as you cannot apply online without a username and password. If you do get through on a call, you should ask if you can just apply via phone.  The online system has been difficult to access.

TWC has also implemented a recommended call and online schedule by area code.

Recommended Call and Access Times

Area Code of Applicant Suggested Call Time
Area Codes Beginning with 9 Mon-Wed-Fri 8:00 a.m.-Noon
Area Codes Beginning with 3, 4, 5,6 Mon-Wed-Fri 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Area codes Beginning with 7, 8 Tues -Thurs-Sat 8:00 a.m. – Noon
Area codes Beginning with 2 Tues-Thurs-Sat 1:00 p.m. -5:00 p.m.

It may be easier to access the TWC system between 10pm and 6am.

TWC has stated the following: “Texans will not be penalized for a delay due to call or user volume. Claims for individuals affected by COVID-19 are eligible to be backdated.”

The following records are needed to make an application.

  1. Last employer’s business name and address
  2. First and last dates (month, day and year) you worked for your last employer
  3. Number of hours worked and pay rate if you worked this week (including Sunday)
  4. Information related to your normal wage
  5. Alien Registration Number (if not a U.S. citizen or national)

It is a first for TWC to allow self-employed/independent contractor applications and their normal system isn’t built to accommodate self-employment requests.  

It is our understanding that everyone, including self-employed and independent contractors, must apply with the regular application.  Self-employed persons would not be eligible for regular benefits, however there are federal provisions to expand unemployment benefits to cover self-employed individuals. You need to be denied for regular benefits first. 

For self-employed and independent contractor applicants, TALA has been advised by CPA’s to complete the UI forms with the following information.  

  • For self-employed/independent contractors, use yourself as the employer.  Same name used to file your federal tax return. 
  • Use your average pay rate.  
  • For information related to your normal wage, use net income schedule C, line 31 of 2019 tax return.  If you haven’t filed 2019 taxes yet, use all 1099’s or other accounting records to calculate prior earnings for the past year.